Highly versatile lens that takes DX-format photography to new heights
New Delhi, July 02, 2015: Nikon India, the 100% subsidiary of Nikon Corporation Tokyo, leaders in imaging technology is proud to announce the launch of new AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR, the world’s lightest*1 16-80mm*2 DX-format lens with impressive optics features to enrich the photography experience. This is the first NIKKOR DX-format lens to employ various class-leading NIKKOR technology usually found in super telephoto lenses, including Nano Crystal Coat. The delightfully compact AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm F/2.8-4E ED VR is a 5x normal zoom lens with f/2.8 aperture at the maximum wide-angle position, bringing together the best of functionality and compact packaging for street and travel photography aficionados.
The fluorine-coated AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm F/2.8-4E ED VR, a first in the range, is designed for DX-format users who desire speed, accuracy and superior image quality. A combination of three superior optical elements, the Nano Crystal Coat, aspherical lens, and Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lens elements, work in tandem for refined image quality with minimized ghosting and chromatic aberration. With a built-in Vibration Reduction (VR) providing an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 4.0 stops faster*3, and the first adoption of an electromagnetic aperture mechanism for resolute auto-exposure control in a DX-format lens, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm F/2.8-4E ED VR prompts high-performance and remarkable quality.
Mr. Kazuo Ninomiya, Managing Director, Nikon India Pvt. Ltd. said, “Building on the legacy of Nikon’s extensive range of NIKKOR lenses, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR combines quality, versatility and performance. Permeated by insights of consumer’s evolving needs, this highly versatile NIKKOR lens has been especially designed to empower photographers to explore their potential in capturing beautiful images and videos.”
Mr. Sajjan Kumar, Vice President – Imaging Division, Nikon India Pvt. Ltd. said, “Nikon India is keeping its finger on pulse of advancing technology and the launch of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR lens stands testimony to it by taking the photography experience further in a smaller and lighter than ever package with renowned NIKKOR optics and refined technology. Some significant advancement like the built-in VR system and electromagnetic aperture mechanism has yielded the expected quality and durability to present the lens as a welcoming addition for NIKKOR lens series.
• Agile and compact: Photographers who are on the move for their travels in the suburbs, beaches and off the beaten path, now have the option to pack lighter and smarter for greater manoeuvrability when capturing movement or getting creative with shooting angles. Weighing only approximately 480g, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR is the world’s lightest*1 DX-format compatible 16-80mm*2 focal-length range, 5x normal zoom lens.
• Rock steady: Be it under dim streetlights, between the junctions of a bustling marketplace, or on a stroll in the green fields, photographers will discover that crisp images of their subjects are attainable even without the use of a tripod. The built-in VR enables sharper pictures with its capability to provide the equivalent effect of shooting at shutter speeds up to 4.0 stops faster*3.
• Advanced trio of imaging optics: Combining the employment of Nano Crystal Coat, aspherical lens, and ED lens elements, remarkable photography performance is assured with less image distortion and unwanted light effects such as ghosting, lens flare and chromatic aberration. These cutting-edge optical imaging components are adopted together for the first time in a DX-format lens, giving photographers the flexibility and potential to seize unparalleled clarity.
• Smooth transitions: Another first for DX-format lenses, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR also incorporates an electromagnetic aperture mechanism. The aperture is controlled via electric signals from the camera body for precise auto-exposure control even during high-speed continuous shooting. From train-spotting to cave photography, expertly exposed shots can be achieved with great consistency.
• Heightened durability: Photographers often invest greatly in trustable equipment for a long-term use in all occasions of their imaging needs. The fluorine coat pledges to the requirement with the coating applied on the outer surfaces of the extreme front and rear lens elements to help repel dust, water droplets, grease and dirt, for easy cleaning. The unique NIKKOR lens technology, applied to a DX-format lens for the very first time, delivers higher durability and is more peel-resistant, even with a higher frequency of lens surface cleaning.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80MM F/2.8-4E ED VR further complements the variety of NIKKOR DX-range lenses, being the new catalyst of an optical performance that keeps up with photographers constantly looking to push boundaries and pursue the anticipated shot of perfection. Among the other DX-range lenses available for a photographer’s lens ecosystem are:
• AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G, a remarkably compact micro lens with life-size (1x) close-up capability,
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR to adapt to a striking range from wide-angle to telephoto shots in captures of diverse everyday scenes,
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II with its retractable barrel mechanism to realize a compact build yet deliver sharp stunning images,
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED for an ultra-wide-angle coverage and dramatic perspective in creative photography, and
• AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G to deliver smooth bokeh and outstanding sharpness for portrait shots and even low-light captures.
The AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR will be available by end of July 2015 across India. For more information on the new AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR, and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikon.co.in
NIKKOR is Nikon's brand of photographic lenses. The NIKKOR name arose from adding "r", a common practice in the naming of photographic lenses at the time the name was established, to "Nikko", the Romanized abbreviation for Nippon Kogaku K.K., the original name used when the company was established.
Nikon's line-up of lenses for cameras with interchangeable lenses currently consists of more than 90 types of lenses, including ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses, fisheye lenses, zoom lenses, micro lenses, and PC-E lenses that support a wide variety of applications, as well as 1 NIKKOR lenses for advanced camera with interchangeable lenses.
In October 2014, Nikon announced its milestone achievement of 90 million in total production of NIKKOR lenses for Nikon interchangeable lens cameras. The achievement is also accompanied by the equally momentous 50 million total production mark for NIKKOR lenses equipped with the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) technology.
Nikon India distributes markets and services the complete range of Nikon imaging products, the newly introduced Nikon Sport Optics & Nikon Instruments. The Nikon Imaging includes its Nikon D-SLR as well as its compact camera, the Nikon COOLPIX, the Nikon 1 camera system, a range of NIKKOR lenses & accessories. With offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Delhi and Gurgaon, Nikon is strengthening its Sales & Services network all across India. The company has established total of five Nikon owned Service Centers (5 Branches), 32 ASCs (authorized service centers), 62 Nikon Collection Centers and over 3000 dealer base for complete service & support of Nikon customers. Nikon has also set up over 120 COOLPIX and D-SLR zones pan India which showcases the entire range of D-SLR cameras, COOLPIX cameras, Nikon 1, an elaborate range of NIKKOR lenses and Nikon Sport Optics.
Founded in 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku; the company was renamed in 1988 as Nikon Corporation. Nikon has truly evolved as an institution of creativity in imaging arena, Semi-conductors, Industrial equipment and specialized in optics as well. Nikon technologies are active not only in Nikon’s core products such as cameras, microscopes and IC steppers/scanners, but they also squarely support innovation in leading-edge science, and they contribute to the development of society and industry as a whole.
Nikon Website: www.nikon.co.in
Nikon India Facebook: www.facebook.com/nikonIndia
Service id: email@example.com
Sales & Support enquiries id: firstname.lastname@example.org
1 Among 5× normal zoom autofocus (AF) lenses with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the maximum wide-angle position for digital SLR cameras equipped with image sensors equivalent to the APS-C size available as of July 2, 2015. Statement based on Nikon research.
2 Angle of view is equivalent to that of a 24-120 mm lens in FX/35mm-format
3 Measured in accordance with CIPA standards using a DX-format digital SLR camera. Measured at the maximum telephoto position