1) An effective pixel count of 12.1 million pixels and a 10x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with a zoom range beginning at the wide-angle 30mm focal length (equivalent with 35mm  format)
2) Superior functions that enable even more beautiful capture of dark scenes - available only from Nikon:
- Less noise at high sensitivities The new image-processing engine EXPEED C2 supports high sensitivities and its superior noise reduction processing technology enables the capture of beautiful, blur-free pictures with very little noise. With a maximum sensitivity of ISO 3200 at the largest image size (12M 4000 x 3000), users can enjoy worry-free shooting even in dark or dimly lit situations.
- Lens-shift + electronic vibration reduction (VR) function Two high-performance vibration reduction (VR) functions - lens-shift and electronic - can be enabled simultaneously. When taking photos at the maximum telephoto zoom position, effective vibration reduction is equal to an increase in shutter speed up to four stops, which eliminates the need for a tripod in dark places and enables capture of beautiful photos with simple hand-held shooting.
- Motion detection When the camera detects camera shake and subject movement, it compensates these automatically by controlling shutter speed and ISO sensitivity to reduce blurring. This function is also convenient for freezing a moving subject.
- Flash control The camera provides optimal flash control according to shooting conditions. In dark surroundings, the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed to suppress the blur caused by camera shake, while increasing ISO sensitivity for beautiful exposure of the background portions that the flash does not reach. When shooting backlit portraits, the camera automatically recognises the human face and controls its flash and focus each time, producing beautiful portraits.
a) Advanced technologies for beautiful night shots Four technologies for capturing blur-free images of night landscape, as well as portraits in dimly lit indoor situations or when the portrait subject is backlit. These technologies also enable the capture of beautiful pictures of dark scenes.
- New technology adopted for Night Portrait mode This new technology enables capture of bright, natural photos that reproduce scenes more accurately by combining background images captured continuously at high speed with varying exposure levels with a bright image of the portrait subject lit by the flash. The portrait subject is brightly lit while the ambience of the background is preserved, enabling beautiful souvenir photos of a night at the amusement park or a dimly lit indoor party with friends, via hand-held shooting.
- Night Landscape mode for beautiful photos with hand-held shooting Images captured continuously at high speed with a low ISO sensitivity setting (for less noise) are combined and recorded as a single blur-free image with very little noise. This allows users to capture beautiful night landscapes via hand-held shooting, with no prior preparation.
- Backlighting mode that prevents loss of detail in highlights and shadows When the HDR (high dynamic range) setting is enabled in “Backlighting mode” for the purpose of shooting of scenes exhibiting great differences in brightness, the camera captures two consecutive images at varying exposures and combines the two for a single vivid photo with no loss of detail of its highlights or shadows.
b) High-speed performance of the CMOS image sensor maximised with a high-speed continuous auto overlay function The CMOS image sensor is capable of processing a huge volume of image data at incredibly high speed. This feature is maximised with the high-speed continuous auto overlay function which reduces blur and noise with a high level of precision.
3) High-speed continuous shooting of beautiful photos at the maximum image size (12M 4000 x 3000) Users can enjoy high-speed continuous shooting of up to five 12 megapixel photos with superior image quality at approximately 10 fps (at a continuous setting of "Continuous H". In Sports continuous mode, ultra high-speed shooting of up to 54 photos at approximately 120 fps is possible. This allows the capture of decisive moments such as the rapid movement of athletes or even pets. In addition, a pre-shooting cache is also used to record up to two shots before the shutter-release button is fully pressed. Image size is fixed at "1M (1280 x 960)" in sport continuous mode.
4) 1080p HD movie recording with stereo sound and the ability to record still images during movie recording The backside illumination CMOS image sensor enables high-quality recording of 1080p HD movies (1920 x 1080 pixels), even in dark surroundings. During movie recording, optical zoom can be used for flexible wide-angle and close-up recording. Users' movie recording experience is now more enjoyable with the added ability to capture still images during recording, plus the use of in-camera movie editing functions. The size of still images captured during movie recording varies according to the type of movie being recorded.
5) Bright and clear 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle With a monitor approximately 1.5x brighter than previous models, the display is now easier to see when viewed outdoors under sunny skies, as well as indoors where light reflections on the monitor surface can be problematic. The display for the large, ultra high-resolution monitor is crisp and vivid, achieved with superior rendering capability through the adoption of a clear color panel. With a wide viewing angle that supports viewing from an angle, the monitor is perfectly suited to both shooting and playback operations.
6) An elegant design incorporating functionality and beauty The COOLPIX S8100 has been designed not only with a beautiful form, but also with features for superior operation, such as a mode dial that allows for the smooth selection of shooting modes. There is also sufficient spacing on the top so that fingers do not interfere with the pop-up flash. Offering style, functionality and pleasure, the S8100 will be a valued photographic tool for years to come.
Commonly used shooting functions, including Auto mode, Scene Auto Selector and Subject Tracking mode, can be quickly and easily enabled.
- Macro photography with shooting as close as 1 cm (0.4 in.) to the lens for large reproduction of the subject
- Creative slider for simple pre-shooting adjustment of image brightness, vividness and hue using a sample image displayed in the monitor
- Scene auto selector with which the camera automatically identifies the scene and applies the optimal scene mode
- Skin softening smoothes skin tones