1. Incorporation of an 18x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers a wide range of angles of view from wide-angle 25mm to super-telephoto 450mm (both equivalent in 35mm  format) without sacrificing a small body size
2. Backside illumination CMOS sensor enables capture of images in which noise is suppressed, even with shooting of dimly lit scenes such as night landscapes and indoor scenes
The camera is equipped with a backside illumination CMOS image sensor with superior high-speed continuous shooting performance. In Night Portrait*, Backlighting and Night Landscape scene modes, multiple shots are captured in quick succession and then combined and recorded as a single image. A series of images with varying sensitivity and shutter speed are captured at high speed and then combined to accurately produce the intended results regardless of the lighting conditions.
- Night Portrait mode
Several shots are captured to reduce blur and noise in the background, and one shot using the flash is captured to ensure a bright portrait subject. These shots are then combined in a single photo with optimal exposure throughout. The portrait subject is brightly lit while the ambience of the background is preserved, enabling hand-held shooting of beautiful souvenir photos of a night at the amusement park or at a dimly lit indoor party with friends.
- Backlighting mode
When the HDR (high dynamic range) setting is enabled in Backlighting mode with shooting of high-contrast scenes, the camera captures multiple shots at varying exposure and combines them for a single photo with no loss of detail in highlights or shadows, and a broader range of tones.
- Night Landscape mode
In Night Landscape mode, a series of images are captured and then combined into a single image in which blur and noise has been suppressed. This allows users to immediately capture beautiful night landscapes on the spur of the moment with hand-held shooting and no prior preparation.
* In hand-held mode
3. 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle offers bright display under sunny skies and clear viewing indoors
The camera is equipped with a three-inch, approximately 921k-dot, wide-viewing angle Clear Color Display TFT LCD monitor. Monitor display is bright and clear, making shooting, viewing images and applying settings easy under sunny skies or in rooms where light is reflected in the monitor. In addition, the expanded color reproduction range covers a broader range of colors for reproduction of almost the entire sRGB gamut.
4. A variety of shooting functions that enable capture of photos as intended
- Easy Panorama mode (new!): With the S9100, it is easy to create dynamic vertical or horizontal panorama photos. Angle of view can be selected from 180° (normal) and 360° (wide). The user need simply move the camera in the desired direction, and the camera automatically recognises the direction in which shots should progress. Multiple shots are then combined in a single panorama photo.
Image is simulated
- Pet Portrait mode (new!): When a dog or cat faces the camera, the camera detects the face, focuses on it and then releases the shutter, all automatically.
* The shutter can also be released manually by disabling the Pet Portrait Auto Release feature.
- Special Effects (new!): Use the shooting menu to apply a special effect that modifies aspects such as color or contrast with still image or movie recording for a more delicate look or to increase impact. Soft, High Key, Low Key, Nostalgic Sepia, High-contrast Monochrome and Selective Color options are available.
5. Equipped with a function for recording high-resolution full-HD movies with stereo sound
Full-HD movies with stereo sound and a frame size of 1920 x 1080 pixels can be recorded. In addition, optical zoom can be used during movie recording. What's more, dramatic movies recorded using the HS Movie function can be played back in slow motion at 1/8 ,1/4 or 1/2 the normal playback speed, or in fast motion at twice the normal playback speed for a comical effect.
- Night Portrait mode