Four key upgrades introduced in the firmware update for the latest Nikon FX (full-frame) format flagship D-SLR
New Delhi, June 23, 2016 – Nikon India, the 100% subsidiary of Nikon Corporation Tokyo, leaders in imaging technology, today announced the new Nikon D5 firmware update, C: Ver. 1.10, set to boost the performance of the notable D-SLR for professionals. Each of the four upgrades is set to further deliver the potential and quality of today’s photography needs.
The free firmware update focuses on advancing the camera’s shooting capabilities with four key improvements amongst other additional updates*1. These four upgrades are the introduction of a 9-point dynamic-area autofocus (AF) AF-area mode, extension of maximum recording time of movies including 4K UHD movies, Flicker Reduction for still images, and electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) function for video recording.
1 Details regarding "additional updates" are provided on the firmware's free download page at Nikon Download Center
Release date: June 23, 2016
Download URL: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/320/D5.html
* The camera's current firmware version can be checked using the Firmware version option in the setup menu.
• 9-point dynamic-area autofocus AF-area mode added for selective focusing on a limited portion of a moving subject: With dynamic-area AF, the camera focuses based on information from surrounding focus points*2 even if the subject briefly leaves the focus point selected by the photographer. The D5 originally supported 25-point, 72-point, and 153-point dynamic-area AF. Now with the new 9-point dynamic-area AF option, photographers will find extra efficiency when focusing on a more specific portion of a moving subject.
2 In dynamic-area AF with 9, 25 or 72-point, the number of focus points actually in use may be less than 9, 25 or 72, depending on the selected primary focus point
• Extension of maximum movie recording time, including 4K UHD movies: Movies up to 29 minutes 59 seconds in length can now be recorded at all movie quality and frame size/frame rate settings. The new firmware increases the maximum recording time of even 4K UHD (3840×2160)*3 movies from three minutes to 29 minutes 59 seconds. In addition, movies are recorded with up to 8 separate files, each of which has a file size of up to 4 GB. Separate movie files can be combined to create a single movie using ViewNX-Movie Editor.
3 The maximum recording time for 4K UHD time-lapse movies is three minutes
• Flicker Reduction for still images introduced for more stable exposure, even under lighting that flickers: When shooting under fluorescent and some other types of artificial lighting, flicker may cause uneven exposure in parts of images, and/or variations in exposure and colour reproduction characteristics between individual images captured continuously or in quick succession. The Flicker Reduction function for still images*4 reduces these effects. When the function is enabled, the camera detects the peak brightness as light flickers, and automatically times the shutter release with these peaks for stable exposure and colour reproduction characteristics. This function is effective when continuous shooting is used with indoor sporting events and other similar conditions captured at fast shutter speeds*5.
4 Still images captured during viewfinder photography (not available with mirror up mode)
5 The continuous shooting rate may be slower
• Inclusion of electronic Vibration Reduction function, effective with hand-held recording, for HD and Full-HD*6 movie recording: The new firmware has been equipped with an electronic VR function*7 that reduces the effects of camera shake with hand-held recording of movies in the FX- or DX-based movie formats (image areas)*8. The effects of camera shake in three directions, vertical (up and down), horizontal (left and right), and rotational (around the centre of the lens) are reduced. This function is effective when recording movies in places or situations where usage of a tripod is prohibited or inconvenient, or when there simply isn't time to set one up. In addition, electronic VR can be used in combination with the optical VR built into a NIKKOR lens for more effective reduction of the effects of camera shake.
6 Not available with 1920 × 1080 crop settings
7 When electronic VR is enabled, the maximum sensitivity allowed is ISO 102400, even if ISO sensitivity is set to Hi 0.3 or higher. The effects of electronic VR are also reflected when photos are captured during movie recording (Live frame grab)
8 The angle of view will be reduced slightly
Nikon D5 has been very well-received on all fronts, winning prestigious global photo and imaging awards such as the recent TIPA Awards 2016, and the Camera GP (Grand Prix) 2016 Readers Award, sponsored by Japan's Camera Journal Press Club. Combining 4K/UHD video capability, rugged reliability, a new radio-controlled flash system, wireless transmission and NIKKOR’s unparalleled lens line-up, the new D5 opens up a clear path for you to take your step forward.
Nikon India distributes markets and services the complete range of Nikon imaging products, the newly introduced Nikon Sport Optics & Nikon Instruments. The Nikon Imaging includes its Nikon D-SLR as well as its compact camera, the Nikon COOLPIX, the Nikon 1 camera system, a range of NIKKOR lenses & accessories. With offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Delhi and Gurgaon, Nikon is strengthening its Sales & Services network all across India. The company has established total of five Nikon owned Service Centres (5 Branches), 32 ASCs (authorized service centres), 60 Nikon Collection Centres and over 4500 dealer base for complete service & support of Nikon customers. Nikon has also set up over 120 COOLPIX and D-SLR zones pan India which showcases the entire range of D-SLR cameras, COOLPIX cameras, Nikon 1, an elaborate range of NIKKOR lenses and Nikon Sport Optics.
Founded in 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku; the company was renamed in 1988 as Nikon Corporation. Nikon has truly evolved as an institution of creativity in imaging arena, Semi-conductors, Industrial equipment and specialized in optics as well. Nikon technologies are active not only in Nikon’s core products such as cameras, microscopes and IC steppers/scanners, but they also squarely support innovation in leading-edge science, and they contribute to the development of society and industry as a whole.