The latest FX-format (full-frame) camera by Nikon promises unrivalled versatility by combining high speed and high-resolution capabilities in one superior imaging tool that switches seamlessly between first-class photos and 4K videos
NEW DELHI, 24 August 2017 – Nikon India, 100% subsidiary of Nikon Corporation, leaders in imaging technology, which recently completed a milestone of 10 years’ presence in India, today announced the launch of the dynamic D850. A highly anticipated successor to the widely popular FX-format (full-frame) D810 released in 2014, the latest addition to Nikon’s FX-format (full-frame) D-SLR range is engineered with advanced features that deliver versatility and uncompromised performance across stills and video shooting, geared towards the growing segment of hybrid photographers in wedding photography and of those in the genres of nature, events and fashion.
This camera delivers both speed and resolution, the key features sought after by the professionals and creative storytellers. It is equipped with a powerful 45.7-megapixel CMOS sensor that guarantees an unmatched balance of high-speed and exceptional resolution when combined with up to 9-fps1 continuous shooting mode backed by its EXPEED 5 image-processing engine.
Thanks to a remarkable dynamic range of native ISO 64 to 25600 and an extended low metering limit of -3 EV, auto exposure (AE) shooting is enabled in low-light and a variety of situations. Further complemented by NIKKOR’s extensive selection of high-performance interchangeable lenses, be it from the latest AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED, or the AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED for wide-angle landscapes, or the AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, photographers are now equipped with the perfect combination of tools to capture crucial moments of subjects in weddings, fashion, nature, events and commercial shoots. Immense flexibility in the selection of RAW size options can also be tailored accordingly to the needs of the user.
Built for hybrid photographers and multimedia creators, the D850 packs superior full-frame 4K UHD video capabilities, 4x and 5x slow-motion videos2 in Full HD, and 8K time-lapse movie production3 using interval timer photography. A dedicated movie menu allows fuss-free switching between movie and still functions to enhance efficiency, so photographers and creators will be able to easily select the best visual format to express their creativity. Movies can be recorded in both FX-based and DX-based movie formats, and the option to further make use of wide-angle and fisheye lenses to inspire greater creative expression.
1. Enhanced resolution, exceptional quality
• 45.7 megapixel FX-Format CMOS sensor with silent photography feature4 and no mechanical blur to capture the finest resolution in any scenario: Picturesque perfection is created through the powerful combination of the EXPEED 5-image processing engine and the backside illumination FX-Format CMOS sensor. With a dynamic range of native ISO sensitivities, from ISO 64 to 25600, expandable from Lo 1 (ISO 32) to Hi 2 (ISO 102400), continuous shooting in varying levels of lighting across is possible.
Additionally, a Natural Light Auto option allows more desirable colours to be captured under natural light automatically for a more accurate and enhanced white balance.
Synergised with Nikon’s very own Advanced Scene Recognition System with 180K-pixel RGB sensor, and a class-leading optical viewfinder with approximate 0.75x magnification, photographers will be compelled to effortlessly enjoy their shooting experience.
2. Enabling a new generation of storytellers
• Full-frame brilliance with 4K UHD (3840x2160)/30p support: Perfect for multimedia shooting, the D850 supports 4K videography and 8K time-lapse movie production3 with silent interval timer photography as slow as 0.5 seconds, or Full HD format (100- or 120-fps readout is recorded at 24, 25p, or 30p) slow-motion movies in DX-format. The camera also allows RAW batch processing, exposure metering range expansion, and a peaking function5 that enables accurate manual focusing. Videographers are empowered to easily fine-tune colour, exposure and brightness that is reflected in white blown-out areas with Nikon’s ‘Flat’ Picture Control, all without a complicated process that is usually associated with LOG LUT videos.
3. Keeping up with dynamic action and focusing on fine details
• 9fps1 or 7fps6 continuous shooting makes easy and adaptable tracking of moving subjects: Photographers will find capturing high-speed moments, such as during a commercial sports photography shoot, a breeze as this DSLR is not only fitted with high speed continuous shooting competence, but also a dedicated autofocus (AF) engine that engages the 153-point AF system and 99 cross sensors to achieve high subject acquisition performance with broad area coverage. Together with the ability to bring down the AF detection range down to -4 EV, photography in low-contrast situations is similarly made promising.
In macrophotography, the new Pinpoint AF for live view photography helpfully achieves focus on a smaller area with a size that is one quarter for the normal AF area.
Summing up the intensity of power, up to approximately 51 14-bit or 170 12-bit (image size L) RAW images with lossless compression can be captured in a single burst of continuous shooting7.
4. Taking flexibility and efficiency to a new level
• Enhanced specifications that optimise operability and process workflow: A high-resolution tilting 8.86cm (3.2") touch-screen with 2359k-dot LCD monitor, and button illumination that is helpful when shooting in dark situations, allow shots to be taken from varying angles and in different situations. Additionally, photographers have the option of selecting large, medium8 or small8 RAW sizes according to their usage needs.
Also, with improved and flexible multiple exposure options, all individual images can be replaced and also simultaneously be saved before the in-camera image combination, and a selected image stored in a memory card can be designated as the first image of the combination9.
Highly effective for jewellery, specimen and landscape photography, the new focus shift capability10 further allows the camera to automatically take up to 300 shots while moving focus position from the starting point to infinity. A selection of up to 10 levels of focus distance changes can be made, while interval between shots can be set between 0 and 30 seconds. Completing the practicality of the function is also the enablement of continuous shooting of up to 5ps, exposure smoothing and silent photography.
• Making connections a breeze: The availability of WT-7/A/B/C Wireless Transmitter support, available separately, also serves for convenient transfer of image and movie files to a computer or FTP server. When paired with the optional Camera Control Pro 2, remotely controlling the D850 from a PC is easily deployed.
Besides stress-free file transfers, connections with Speedlights are made just as easy with the support for radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting to allow the flexibility in multi-flash photography.
• Negative digitizer brings film back to life: When paired with a film holder and micro lens, the D850’s negative digitizer11 simplifies the process of using a film scanner to convert negative film (in both colour and monochrome) to 45-megapixel digital images for added enjoyment. The ability to adjust for brightness (up to +/- 5) immediately, and the HDMI connection to TV monitor, allows the viewing of old photos for those moments of impromptu family recollections. Using the same accessories and lenses, reversal film digitization is also possible.
1 When the following settings are applied: AF-C autofocus mode, S (shutter-priority auto) or M (manual) exposure mode, shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and all other settings at default value. When using MB-D18 Multi-Power Battery Pack with the EN-EL 18a/EN-EL18b Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (available separately). Optional BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover required for use of the EN-EL18a/EN-EL18b
2 Image quality is fixed at normal and image area is fixed at DX regardless of settings
3 Requires third-party software to create 8K time-lapse movies
4 The silent photography feature is in which the image sensor performs operations normally performed by the mechanical shutter's front and rear curtains with live view photography. Applicable in M (manual) or A (aperture-priority auto) exposure mode. In P (programmed-auto) or S (shutter-priority auto) exposure mode, the sound of aperture operation can be heard.
5 Available for Full HD/HD
6 When the following settings are applied: AF-C autofocus mode, S (shutter-priority auto) or M (manual) exposure mode, shutter speed of 1/250 s or faster, and all other settings at default value
7 When a Sony QD-G64E XQD memory card and EN-EL15a are used with shooting at ISO 100
8 Recorded in 12-bit, lossless compressed format
9 Applicable for RAW, Large image only
10 Third-party software is needed for image composite
11 The ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter is optional
The D850 will be available from September 2017 with the AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, or with the body-only configuration. For more information on the new D850 and other Nikon products, please visit http://www.nikon.co.in
Since the company was established in 1917, Nikon has cultivated its status as a pioneer of optical technologies in Japan and overseas. Guided by our corporate philosophy of “Trustworthiness and Creativity,” we provide a wide range of technologies, products and services globally by harnessing our advanced technologies, the core of which encompasses opto-electronics and precision technologies. We are proud to celebrate our 100th anniversary in 2017.
Nikon India distributes markets and services the complete range of Nikon imaging products, the newly introduced Nikon Sport Optics & Nikon Instruments. The Nikon Imaging includes its Nikon D-SLR as well as its compact camera, the Nikon COOLPIX, the Nikon 1 camera system, a range of NIKKOR lenses & accessories. With offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Delhi and Gurgaon, Nikon is strengthening its Sales & Services network all across India. The company has established total of five Nikon owned Service Centres (5 Branches), 32 ASCs (authorized service centres), 55 Nikon Collection Centres and over 4500 dealer base for complete service & support of Nikon customers. Nikon has also set up over 120 COOLPIX and D-SLR zones pan India which showcases the entire range of D-SLR cameras, COOLPIX cameras, Nikon 1, an elaborate range of NIKKOR lenses and Nikon Sport Optics.
Founded in 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku; the company was renamed in 1988 as Nikon Corporation. Nikon has truly evolved as an institution of creativity in imaging arena, Semi-conductors, Industrial equipment and specialized in optics as well. Nikon technologies are active not only in Nikon’s core products such as cameras, microscopes and IC steppers/scanners, but they also squarely support innovation in leading-edge science, and they contribute to the development of society and industry as a whole.
Nikon India Website: www.nikon.co.in
Nikon India Facebook: www.facebook.com/nikonIndia
Service ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales & Support enquiries ID: email@example.com