As the world’s lightest*1 300mm lens and the first NIKKOR to employ a Phase Fresnel lens, the new AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR delivers superior picture quality in a compact and light package
New Delhi, January 6, 2015 – Nikon India, the 100% subsidiary of Nikon Corporation Tokyo, leader in imaging technology, is proud to announce the launch of the NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, the latest addition to its renowned NIKKOR line-up of FX-format (full-frame) compatible lenses.
Crafted for those looking to achieve maximum image quality from a lightweight lens, the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR incorporates Nikon’s Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element*2 for the first time in NIKKOR lenses, resulting in a remarkably light 755 grams. Photographers will also enjoy the immense flexibility needed to get the perfectly timed shot as the highly portable lens also features a Vibration Reduction (VR) system of 4.5 stops*3, thus enabling the omission of a tripod.
“At Nikon India, our aim is to promote photography as a culture, which as a hobby has seen a tremendous growth over the past few years. With the industry growing at a good pace, we have witnessed demand for not only feature-rich camera but also the accessories. Nikon has a legacy of designing lenses that combine innovative optics and a lighter package to deliver exceptional photography experience which is being reinstated with the new NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR”, said Mr. Hiroshi Takashina, Managing Director, Nikon India Pvt. Ltd.
“The NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens designed with the innovative Phase Fresnel lens element, exclusively from Nikon delivers superior picture quality in a compact and light package”, said Mr. Sajjan Kumar, Vice President – Imaging Division, Nikon India Pvt. Ltd. “Building on the legacy of Nikon’s extensive range of NIKKOR lenses, the new-fangled NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR lens is world’s lightest 300mm at only 755 grams combining innovative optical technology with superb design and construction. In addition to the attractive aesthetics, the lens boasts of definitive lens technology that effectively compensates chromatic aberration.”
1. Optical proficiency
• Beautiful blur: An exquisite blurred shot to highlight a single subject amongst a busy landscape is made possible with the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR’s maximum aperture of f/4. Photographers can also achieve striking high-quality images even in low light conditions such as a recording of an indoor theatre performance.
• Exceptional accuracy: Photographers will be able to quickly achieve the right aperture for a faultless shot with an electro-magnetic aperture mechanism which delivers stable auto exposure control even during high-speed continuous shooting.
• Stunning sharpness: Nikon’s renowned VR image stabilization technology provides an effect equivalent to a shutter speed of 4.5 stops faster*3, effectively reducing camera shake and delivering dramatically sharper images in a wide range of conditions such as when capturing contact sports or a flock of flying birds. For an effective and responsive photography experience on athletes and other subjects that are moving rapidly and unpredictably, the fixed focal length telephoto lens is also equipped with a SPORT VR mode.
2. Design practicality
• Save time, travel light: Eliminating long hours of post-processing means that photographers get more time to hone their craft. This is easily achieved with a trio consisting of the PF lens element*2, Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass element and Nano Crystal Coat to perfectly work in tandem for minimised chromatic aberration and ghosting.
• In addition, photographers on the road can also pack lighter and smarter with the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR as the PF lens element also contributes to a lightweight and compact design.
• Built for adventure: A highly durable fluorine coat applied to the lens front effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease or dirt, ensuring easy removal even if they adhere to the lens surface.
• Quiet companion: For high-speed autofocusing that is accurate and quiet, the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR also incorporates NIKKOR’s unique Silent Wave Motor (SWM). The SWM technology unobtrusively converts “travelling waves” into rotational energy to focus the optics, making it a handy companion even for those nocturnal photography expeditions.
The AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR will be available in February 2015 across India and MRP will be announced closer to the sale start date.
For more information on the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/4E PF ED VR and other Nikon products, please visit http://www.nikon-asia.com
About Nikon India
Nikon India distributes markets and services the complete range of Nikon imaging products, the newly introduced Nikon Sport Optics & Nikon Instruments. The Nikon Imaging includes its Nikon D-SLR as well as its compact camera, the Nikon COOLPIX, the Nikon 1 camera system, a range of NIKKOR lenses & accessories. With offices in Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Delhi and Gurgaon, Nikon is strengthening its Sales & Services network all across India. The company has established total of five Nikon owned Service Centers (5 Branches), 32 ASCs (authorized service centers), 64 Nikon Collection Centers and over 3000 dealer base for complete service & support of Nikon customers. Nikon has also set up over 120 COOLPIX and D-SLR zones pan India which showcases the entire range of D-SLR cameras, COOLPIX cameras, Nikon 1, an elaborate range of NIKKOR lenses and Nikon Sport Optics.
Founded in 1917 as Nippon Kōgaku; the company was renamed in 1988 as Nikon Corporation. Nikon has truly evolved as an institution of creativity in imaging arena, Semi-conductors, Industrial equipment and specialized in optics as well. Nikon technologies are active not only in Nikon’s core products such as cameras, microscopes and IC steppers/scanners, but they also squarely support innovation in leading-edge science, and they contribute to the development of society and industry as a whole.
• 1 Among 300mm fixed focal length (prime) AF lenses compatible with 35mm "full-size" format cameras available as of January 6, 2015. Statement based on Nikon research.
• 2The PF lens, developed by Nikon, effectively compensates chromatic aberration utilizing the photo diffraction phenomenon. It provides superior chromatic aberration compensation performance when combined with a normal glass lens. Diffraction phenomenon explains that light has characteristics as a waveform. When a waveform faces an obstacle, it attempts to go around and behind it, and this characteristic is referred to as diffraction. The diffraction causes chromatic dispersion in the reverse order of refraction. Due to the characteristics of a PF (Phase Fresnel) lens that utilizes the photo diffraction phenomenon, when there is a strong light source within the frame or when light enters the lens from outside of the frame, ring-shaped coloured flare may occur according to shooting conditions. This phenomenon can be minimized with “PF Flare Control” to be included in Capture NX-D (ver.1.1.0 or later).
• 3Measured in accordance with CIPA standards in NORMAL mode using an FX-format (full-frame) digital SLR camera.